Throughout New Haven students’ schooling, they are encouraged to think about their futures. Students have already been exposed to programs such as Missouri Connections-- a website for students to explore their career interests and options-- to help them start thinking about life after high school.
New Haven students were recently polled about their plans after high school. Out of all 4 classes, 51 students responded via Google Forms.
About 83% of 51 students are planning on attending college. The remaining 17% plan to serve in the United States Armed Forces, attend a technical school, or go straight into the workforce.
Of the same 51 students, 77% hope to start their career, college, or military service after high school, while the remaining 23% plan to start in the next five years following graduation or are not attending college.
When asked what those college-bound students would like to major in, the results span as far as Animal Bioscience to Criminal Justice.
Many students aren’t sure of their futures, and are not yet decided on a set-in-stone plan. This flexibility allows students to explore their options to find their best fit in the world.
Results were off the charts when students were asked to identify their favorite or dream college. Mizzou topped the results with 24%, and Missouri State was another common denominator with 16% of the votes. The remaining 75% of students entered their own answers, from East Central and Truman, to Penn State, Harvard, and Alabama State.
Elizabeth Hughes, a senior at New Haven that wants to major in Biochemistry at Mizzou, stated, “I am excited for graduation. After ordering our cap and gown within the first few months of school, everything became very surreal to me.”
“I’m imploding from the stress, but I know it’ll all be worth it in the end,” Emily Knoppe, fellow senior, commented regarding her thoughts on college. She wishes to attend the School of the Art Institute of Chicago to obtain her major in Animation.
Students may not know where they wish to go in life, but as alumni of New Haven, their path will certainly follow the outline of the tradition of excellence.
Good luck to all the hardworking students at New Haven. And for the seniors: good luck in your endeavors beyond graduation. In the words of an unknown author, “take pride in how far you’ve come, and have faith in how far you can go.”