The City of New Haven has received tentative approval for a federal grant to construct a pedestrian bridge over Highway 100.
The City learned in early February that the project had been recommended for funding through the East-West Gateway Council of Governments.
The total project cost is estimated at $351,463. The grant would pay 80 percent, with the City responsible for the remaining 20 percent, or $70,292.
The bridge would link the new City Park Trail with a sidewalk on the north side of Highway 100. That sidewalk is also being funded through a federal grant and includes an extension from Douglas Street west to Immanuel Avenue. Tentative plans call for construction in 2018.
When complete, the City will have a sidewalk running the entire length of Highway 100 between Miller Street and Immanuel Avenue, with a connection via the Shared Use bridge to the City Park and New Haven School District property.
The property which the City owns on the south side of Highway 100 has been discussed as the possible site of a future Municipal Building. The City also has plans to apply for a grant this year to pave and/or extend the new City Park trail.
Sidewalks have been an integral feature of the federal-aid projects the City has constructed in recent years, including Miller Street Phases 1-4, the Safe Routes to School sidewalk through the City Park, and planned sidewalks along the full length of Maupin Street in the Maupin Phase 1 and 2 project, scheduled for 2017-18.