On February 4th, 2016, the New Haven Chamber of Commerce met for their monthly meeting at People’s Savings Bank at 12:00 p.m. To begin the meeting, Steve Campbell of Scenic Regional Library gave a presentation on the new programs and expansion of the New Haven branch.
Senior Brooke Bockting stated, “I think that this is going to be great! It’s going to be so much bigger, and I think that it will generate more interest since it will be right in the middle of town. I think this will be a better location!”
Campbell also discussed new programs coming to the Scenic Regional Library system. These programs include:
- Freegal Music - a music software that allows 5 free song downloads a week with library card
- Zinio - a digital magazine that allows users to download magazines for free
- Books by Mail - a program that allows homebound people to receive 5 items (books, movies, cds) to be delivered to their residency
- DVD/CD-New releases and TV series will be available for all library members
- Genealogy-Access to FoldFree.com, a website that has over 5,000 military records
- Live Homework Help - tutoring system that allows students to chat and ask questions with a tutor in real time
“The new movie program allows me to watch movies for free as long as I have a library card, unlike Redbox. I like that feature a lot because I’m not much of a reader, but I do love to watch movies!” stated junior, Emily Lewis.
Regarding the expansion, New Haven High School’s history teacher, Mr. Tucker, said, “I think that the library is going to be a really great environment for both children and the community.”
The next Chamber of Commerce meeting will be held in early March. We can’t wait for the new library to come into effect!