As second semester at New Haven High commences, plans for graduation and college are starting to fall into place. This year’s graduating class of 35 is preparing for the next chapter of their lives as their days of being a high schooler are nearing a close.
In a previous poll done at New Haven High, 51 students from various classes reflected on their plans for life after high school. About 83% planned to attend college, while the remaining 17% had plans to serve in the United States Armed Forces, attend a technical school, or go directly into the workforce.
This time, only the seniors were asked about their plans after high school and for any advice that would benefit the upcoming underclassmen during senior year.
Sarah McKernan plans to attend Murray State University. She advises, “Don’t wait until the last minute to fill out scholarships. Finish them right away.”
Mackenzie Bauer plans to attend Missouri State University. Advice she has for the juniors: “Apply for as many scholarships as you can.”
Seniors were asked to share what they found to be the most stressful or most impactful parts of their high school careers as well as memories they will remember after graduation. Many students replied mentioning sports, their friends, and knowing that this is their last year before they become alumni.
“I will remember the good times I had during band class and the early mornings of marching band. Those are memories I will forever cherish,” Elizabeth Hughes commented. “The most stressful thing about senior year is just not forgetting a single thing. The most impactful thing about senior year is knowing that this is it. One last time for everything.”
While the seniors may be graduating and beginning a new chapter of their lives, they will always be remembered in the halls of NHHS.